Monday, October 17, 2016

Lacewing

Tonight I watched a lace wing dance around my light fixture.  It's wings clear glistened with rainbow hues.  It's almost fluorescent green body suspended between the fluttering wing.  Childhood memories of stories of fairies dances rushed into my thoughts.  Might lacewing insect inspired our descriptions of fairies or do the dance in attendance at the fairies' bonfires?
I have notice that during the last few autumns that we often have a lace wing move into our house.  Does it come in on Mollie fur or on my jacket?
Lacewings in a larva state are like larval lady bugs. Mthey feast on aphids.  What do adult lacewings feed upon?
The Internet is so helpful.  Research indicates that adult lace wings feed on nectar, pollen and aphid honey dew.  This must be why I notice more lacewings in the autumn.

No comments: