Thursday, May 26, 2011

Let's Go on a Picnic

I taught a Science & Art workshop entitled "Let's Go for a Picnic" for children this afternoon.    We discussed why ants are insects, how they live their life cycle in ant hills with tunnels underground, (Riley preferred to cover her ant's tunnels in brightly colored wallpaper.), and the different types of ants and their jobs.  We created a fun foam ant  with pipe cleaner legs, and on a poster board sheet created a checkered table cloth for a picnic and to use as a game of tic tac toe - ants verses picnic food.  I sent the students home with their own observation jar.

A fun class!

1 comment:

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

I do wonder why children are so fascianted with ants. I remember watching red ants outside for hours, they crawled over my arms but i don't think i ever got stung.
the kids must of loved the ant day!
julie